Thursday, November 18, 2010

My Thanksgiving Specialty

Every year since I can remember, we've always celebrated Thanksgiving at home (my parents' home) with my Granny, aunts, uncles, cousins and whoever else wanted to come along.  It seemed like everyone had their own special thing that they always made, and since there were so many people, we always had a lot of food.  Chicken (Mom prefers it over turkey), ham, sweet potato casserole (the kind with nuts and brown sugar - yumm!), green beans, mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce (homemade!), cole slaw, rolls....not to mention all the desserts!  I'm salivating just typing it all.  So once I was old enough to pitch in, I had no idea what to make.  After looking through recipe after recipe, I finally decided on corn pudding.  I prefer a sweet corn pudding and think this recipe is perfect!  It is now "my thing" to make every year :) 
In an effort to add more to the blog and get into the Thanksgiving food mood, I'm sharing it with you and hopefully a few more family specials! 

Corn Pudding
3 Tb butter
2 eggs plus 2 egg yolks, beaten
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cup heavy cream
1 1/4 cup whole milk
3 cups corn
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Butter molds or casserole dish.  Beat eggs; stir in sugar, cream and milk.  Add corn and salt.  Mix thoroughly with wisk; pour into baking dishes and sprinkle with nutmeg.  Bake in a water bath for 45 minutes or until custard is set.

No comments:

Post a Comment