Monday, March 7, 2011

Gentle Reminders

There is nothing like the innocence of a child to show you non skeptical, non stereotyped thinking.

Over the weekend, my 5 year old spotted a homeless man on the side of the road.  She asked what he was doing, read his sign that said "Need Help", and observed quietly for a few minutes.  Her conclusion about the whole situation had nothing to do with the way he looked or why he didn't have a job, but "why are there so many people passing by him and not helping??!!"

I am guilty of being one of those people.  Sure, I gather items and donate to the homeless shelter and give money to needy kids, but I also sometimes find myself being skeptical of those asking for money or even judging them.  Thank you, Rachel, for the reminder to love my neighbor as myself.


"She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy." Proverbs 31:20 


"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." James 1:27

No comments:

Post a Comment